Specialist breast care nurses are registered nurses who specialise in the care and support of women with breast cancer. They liaise with health professionals and services to ensure that women receive the right care and information during treatment and management of breast cancer.
Most importantly, breast care nurses provide a consistent source of information, care and emotional support to women with breast cancer throughout their experience and beyond. Given this important role, women across Tasmania who have been diagnosed with breast cancer should have contact with a breast care nurse as early as possible.
While most women are referred to a breast care nurse after they are diagnosed with breast cancer, a referral is not required to contact a breast care nurse.
Contact details are provided below for Breast Care Nurses in Tasmania
McGrath Foundation Breast Care Nurses
The McGrath Foundation was co-founded by Jane McGrath and her cricketing husband, Glenn, after Jane's diagnosis and initial recovery from breast cancer. During her treatment, Jane had the support of a breast care nurse and felt that women with breast cancer across Australia should have access to the same support.
The McGrath Foundation appoints specialist breast care nurses to rural and regional areas across Australia to support women with breast cancer. McGrath breast care nurses are specially trained to act as patient advocates and coordinate care for women with breast cancer, their families and carers.
For more information, visit the McGrath Foundation website
Contact a Breast Care Nurse
Community breast care nurses and McGrath Foundation breast care nurses are available to contact on the numbers below.
- McGrath Breast Care Nurse: BreastScreen Tasmania and the Royal Hobart Hospital (03) 6166 2796 or 0400 494 646
- Community Breast Care Nurse: Hobart Community Nursing (03) 6166 7602 or 0409 943 257
- McGrath Breast Care Nurse: BreastScreen Tasmania (03) 6777 1392 or 0438 791 794
- Clinical Nurse Consultant - Breast Cancer Care: WP Holman Clinic (03) 6777 8891 or 0429 389 102
- McGrath Breast Care Nurse: North West Regional Hospital Speciality Clinics, Burnie (03) 6430 6684 or 0417 376 841
- Clinical Nurse Consultant - Breast Cancer Care: Mersey Community Hospital (03) 6430 6599